Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GSD good practices 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TiagoFigueiredo

Industrial
May 22, 2013
PT
I'm trying to improve my skills in CATIA, and I would like to see which good practice CATIA users, use while working in GSD and the contents of geometrical sets.
I must say that I'm not the most organized guy! I need to work on it. And working in CATIA it can be extremely powerful, but it can also a nightmare. Can you share some best practices working in GSD? How do you manage design changes?

Is there any OEM tips or guide rules that we can learn?

Tiago Figueiredo
Tooling Engineer

Youtube channel:

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Long time ago Catiahelp was installed along with the software. In the years we lost the preinstalled helpdesk but here's the GSD from the net.
Link

My objective with part design and GSD is to minimize the need for sketch dimensions. I always make geometrical sets that contain only planes, axes, points that mostly define the outer boundary of the part.
When I make an irregular shape that needs a lot of splines/surfaces etc, I always make a separate geoset for that. Also I utilize parameters and formulas as much as possible to further reduce my sketching needs.

But in the end it all depends on how your finished part would look like and how often do you need to come back and change/adjust something.
We're working on automotive parts with mostly basic geometry (squares, cylinders, cones, etc) so we're always finding balance between sketch dimensioning and parametric/formula driven models.

I would say good practices are:
1.- Get good training on the tool from competent and DS backed up teachers (Your company should give you that)
2.- Maximize the use of parameters in your design and use simple construction patterns that will simplify changes during the design cycles.
3.- Name your geo sets and main geometrical references to make identification easier.
4.- Mentorship, if there are mentors with more experience rely on them for knowledge transfer. This is not replacing proper training.
4.- Practice, practice and more practice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back