Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GT's Air Coalescing Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cocorocox

Mechanical
May 6, 2012
PE
What is the essential work of this kjind of filters in turbines?

In my plant(3x1 850MW), We have problems about humidity because of HR (>90% in Winter) so we are looking for the best solution; we are buying different brands to improve our air intake system.

Is really "HR" a big problem? I'd like to know about the best brand of coalescing filters.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RH = Relative Humidity.

What are your winter conditions? If it is below somewhere about 40 F, you could be icing your filters with that much humidity. Below 40, you guaranteed are.

rmw

The best filtering system i've ever seen was on a North Sea coastal installation in the Netherlands, in a chemical plant where salt and other aggressive chemicals were present.

It had:

1. inlet heating system to prevent icing (using glycol heaters)
2. mechanical separation (to separate droplets)
3. three stage static filtering system

The filters lasted 16,000 operating hours and the compressor was always found in pristine conditions.

So, it is not just a matter of "filters" but to develop the appropriate solution for the environmental conditions.

saludos.
a.

dear all,

we are also facing almost similar problems. we (in middle east) recently commissioned 2 nos. of Frame-6 GE machines 10 months ago and we have started getting HIGH FILTER DP alarms which has forced several times to reduce the load.
on investigation we found that apart from the base filters one more layer of de-fogging filters were not fixed. this can be fixed and replaced easily while the machines are running too.
another factor is to see the dust around the machine. as we had a construction site near by, there was always a cloud of fine dust in the air.

thanks,

Hi,

@ abeltio: Do you mean Sloe Centrale? That's from me [wink]

@ mjohga: Ist it a pulse system or static filters? There are several possible solutions.

Regards

El

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back