Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI Software for OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

randymce

Electrical
Oct 18, 2003
CA
I am in need of Electrical Simulation with interactive GUI (like ORCAD) and mechanical Finite element analysis for mechanical stressing and thermal stress modeling software. Again usability is critical ie. no command line UI and real time interactivity a must.

I am looking forward to your replieds as I am in desperate need of this kind of software that will rum under OS X.

Thanks!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the command line is out for you (for whatever reason) then you won't like SPICE alone, but there are a number of GUI simulators that are based on SPICE (Berkley SPICE 3f5) and/or GnuCap for OS8+ including OSX. Try MiSugar available here (freeware, donations accepted):

You can also run any of the other commercial simulators for Windows via VPC (commercial software, see Microsoft) or any of the Linux/UNIX simulators via OSX and X11 (see Apple Computer's site for X11 for OSX download, free).

Hope that helps.

Finite Element Analysis might be available from VisualFEA (Windows, OSX) although the developers seem to be having problems with the Korean-English part of life. Might be a bear getting it to work; I couldn't even find a price (Free? A Million dollars? Who knows?) and the docs seem unfinished. Still the examples on the site look nice.

Anyway, there are again quite a few. Try JANFEA (Univ of Utah, Free)

A more serious version is FlexPDE v4.0; although an Evaluation Edition (quite limited) and a free Student Edition (equation + node limits) are available I suggest you download the full version and then eMail for a Trial License to unlock it.

Of course, if you like it you will have to pay out the big bucks; it's not a "hobby" program by any means and is priced accordingly ($800 2D and $2000 2D/3D).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back