Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

guidance for sheet metal repairs 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeeS

Aerospace
Jun 12, 2012
PK
hello.... i have been working on flight lines in military as an aeropsce engineer for 3 1/2 years. now i v been sent to a depot level activity where suddenly the prority has been changed from systems to structures. though manuals give almost every thing to mos of the common solutions; nevertheless, owing to the lack of past experience, i am finding difficulty in understanding the engineering behind even simple repairs, wat to talk about bigger complex repairs.....

can some body guide m what course of action i need to grip on.....

thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

awfully vague ... the Boeing Liaison course, design of damage tolerant repairs (Tom Swift), Bruhn and Niu have some advice on repair design, i'm sure if you google "aircraft repair design" you'll come up with something useful.

If you've been in military circles, then maybe you're not familiar with a number of "civvy" publications that we line our birdcages - er - engineering reports with.

AC 43.13 (Advisory Circular Forty-three-thirteen)
AC 65.12, Airframe and Powerplants Handbooks, 3 volumes

Also consider flipping through the product catalogs for commercial aviation suppliers, such as Aviall and Aircraft Spruce, whether they apply to the aircraft you're dealing with or not. For a flavour of the general-aviation world. You didn't specify if you're working with transport or private aircraft. Two different modes of operation there.

If you want more reading material than that, try "Jeppesen" publications.

STF

yes u r right.... as MO i didnot concerned anything other than keeping the birds up..... logistix etc ====» no headache :)

my sqn used to fly P3s and still i m in a p3 facility...... but where every a/c is on jack and stripped... so its way different
my actual concern has been finding the way up for out of manual repairs......
i will be going for the course at boeing or may be airbus,whereso ever i get nominated for, but till that time...... its a difficult scenrio. so as to gtrab oto the basics, i v started with making a sense into the in SRM repairs....

you're looking to analyze these repairs, or understand them ? most repairs, the idea is to repalce the lost Al with a little extra; the key is how to attach the repair to the plane and impact on DT/continuing airworthiness inspections.

SRM repairs are a bunch of canned solutions.

AC43-13 gives you some guide-lines for making repairs, very generic and sometimes contra-indicated (ie, i wouldn't do some of the things they suggest).

if you're still dealing with P3s, then you won't have entered the damage tolerance world, but you still need to consider fatigue effects of repairs.

the Boeing Liasion stress course (put on by U.Kansas) is a good starting point for analyzing repairs.

do you have anyone there to talk to ? very unfortunate for you if you don't !

Just an FYI, the FAA released what looks like all new FAA handbooks, FAA-H-8083-31-AMT-Airframe & FAA-H-8083-32-AMT-Powerplant a couple months ago.

I assume they replace the AC65 documents.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice; experience suggests that in practice, there is.

Just remember, it is not your job as an aircraft mechanic, to make the repair "better" or "stronger" then the original pre dammage configuration. If you do, (or allude to such in your repair documentation) It then becomes not a "repair", but an "alteration", which you have to justify in all sorts of paperwork unpleasantries.

Regarding the beloved AC43-13, remember it is "acceptable" data, and not "approved" data.

None of this matters if you're still in the military, but will serve you later, in the civilian world.

ZeeS...

Spent my life doing What You are doing... only for the USAF.

I have accumulated a 1/2-ton of liaison training documents... including several from USN and USAF Depot Sources and several companies... for both structural and menchanical repair design. I've recieved and hoarded my info recieved piece-meal thru the years. Unfortunately there seem to be no library for this sort of training material... since there are issue with proprietary rights. The problem with this forum is that it is deliberately hard to exchange these documents... for a slew of good, and bad/sad, reasons. I wish there was an anonymous site for posting this type info... but then the "bads guys" [competitors, such as chinese, Iranians, etc] could also have access" [or would steal access to it]. This stuff is gold... how we do our work thru the years. The company I work for now is especially jealous of this type intellectual property.

Ask Your counterparts and have them ask their friennds, etc, and You may be surprised what comes out of the wood work.

Also (duhhhh), attending one [actually as many as possible] engineering skill training courses, getting to know and be trusted by others... and never letting a good reference ever slip thru Your fingers... are starting points.

Gotta go back to work.

Regards, Wil Taylor

Trust - But Verify!

We believe to be true what we prefer to be true.

For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back