Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guidance on completing an Engineering Degree as mature student?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PnCTech44

Electrical
Feb 11, 2008
CA
I am a Protection & Control Techologist at a major Power Utility in Ontario, Canada. As my title implys, I am not an engineer but instead an Electrical Techologist (three year Community College Program in Ontario, Canada). I perform daily maintenance and commissioning of new and existing Power Equipment Protection and Control. It was always my goal to become an Engineer but in my senior year of highschool I lost my motivation and settled with a technology program instead (not sure what Technologists are refered as in the US, maybe associate degree). However I do wish to still complete my engineering degree or at least further my knowledge of the Protective Relaying discipline as well as other Power System Engineering Topics. Are there any Fellow Techologists/Technicians, Engineers, Masters of Engineering or PhD Engineers out there that may be able to provide guideance on how to accomplish this goal. A few ideas I have so far are: perform a type of self-taught engineering program via MIT OCW, take a web based engineering program or Protective Relaying Program, take a few years of work and complete my degree, or take Manufacturer/University taught protective relay courses/conferences. One area of protective relaying I would definitely wish to expand my knowledge in is Generator Protection specifically for a 900MW+ size synchronous generator. Well, I would like to thank you in advance for taking the time to read my posting. Hopefully you will be able to assist myself in completing my career goals. Feel free to add any questions you may have to the post. I may also be able to help you complete your own career goals. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I also started my career as a technician (substation testing). I completed my Engineering degree at an ABET accredited college at the age of 33. It's never too late to start. I personally had to make financial arrangements and sacrifices to complete my degree during the day. I attended night school for as long as I could (approx 2.5 years), then quit full-time work to attend full-time school. In the end, my experience was worth the short term sacrifice for the long term gain. Be patient and set a course.

You didn't say how "mature" you were. If you are still a 20 or 30 something, that is one thing, but if you are a 40 or 50 (or more) something, hmmm....

On the one hand your experience puts you looking to move up in a world that is a small club and one that I think has a growing demand (JMHO). So I think your area is right.

On the other hand, if you are well advanced into your maturity, then you would be trying to enter the field with your new degree against younger guys that companies would feel like had more years in them to develop and grow with the company.

I have personally known people who went back mid 40's and got their degree only to find that they always lost out on promotions, etc to the young pups.

You have to decide if your experience would outweigh your age disadvantage (if you are well mature) as you tried to make entry. Since you are in the protection field, talk to some degreed protection engineers and get their take of your potential.

rmw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back