Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Guides on piping 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will want guides near expansion loops. You will want guides near expansion joints (see EJMA Standard). You will want guides on crowded pipe racks to keep expanding pipes from interfering with the movements of other systems.

Guides are useful for controlling (managing) the movements of piping as they expand and contract. Guides are used to keep piping from disengaging from supports or falling off support structures. Guides, line-stops, anchors and other devices are used to direct piping thrusts away from strain sensitive equipment (turbines, pumps, compressors, expanders, vessels, etc.). Guides are used to control the movement of piping under high wind condition or under seismic loadings.

As far as Standards, other than EJMA I know of none except those developed by specific companies as "in-house" documents.

Regards, John.

Thanks John.

We have a line tie-in to the header right next to he expansion loop. I cannot add a guide near this expansion loop because it will cause high stress on the branch line. Is this case, can I just add the guide on one side of the expansion loop?

Use caution for guides at expansion loops, if they resitrict the rotation of the pipe too much. We keep them a couple of supports away from loops. You need to protect the tie-in from thermal, wind and seismic loads. A diagram or drawing might help, also the temperature range, pressure, location for wind & seismic, etc.

Guide may be closer to the loop so that movement will be mostly axial. If movement is large, you have to make the tie-in line to the right more flexible.

Do you have a anchor in between loops?

--It boils down to simple math--

Yes, there is an anchor between the loops. If I leave one guide in between the two tie-in, the stress is low. Can I leave the tie in as it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back