Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Guy Wire Foundation/Anchorage

Status
Not open for further replies.

neffers

Structural
Oct 11, 2002
US
Does anybody have any good references or links for some typical details of guy wire foundations/anchorages? I am comfortable with designing for the loads, what I am not sure of is what is typically used to attach the cable to the foundation and so on..any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Neffers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I used a "crosby shackle" and wire ropes to guy a steel stack one time. The foundation attachment was basically a vertical plate w/several perpendicular stiffeners and a hole for the shackle. The vertical plate was welded to a base plate that was anchored to a pier and footing. It was fairly striaghtforward.

engphila

. . . and it might be a good idea to utilize a turnbuclke with whatever fixture your cable is terminated with, be it an "eye", hook, etc. or a combination fixture such as a turnbuckle w/eyes.

engphila

There are some details in ASCE Manual No. 91, "Design of Guyed Electrical Transmission Structures".

Always use some sort of softener if you are bending the cable around a rod. Depending upon how the cable is connected there are some efficiency ratios that you should be aware of, as well as the factor of safetys.

Look at ASCE 19, "Structural Applications of Steel Cables for Buildings".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back