Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gypsum Shear Walls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutero

Specifier/Regulator
Jul 20, 2006
US
RE: IBC 2306.4.5 I know I've used this table in the past, and I thought that the table represented gypsum used on only one side of wall. Therefore sheathing both sides allows me to double the values. But, I'm not reading this anywhere.

Also, there does not seem to be any reduction factors for gypsum as there is for structural wood sheathing.

Please advise ... Thank you ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't actually see where it says you can double the shear values for wood walls either, yet we do it on a regular basis.

I think there is no specific gravity reduction on GWB walls because the gypsum is going to fail long before the wood does, and the reduction is based on stud species. I would take the table at face value.

Just a thought....

IBC 2305.3.8 Summing Shear Capacities

"The shear values for materials of the same thickness applied to both faces of the same wall are cumulative"

The problem with using GWB on both sides of the wall to resist lateral loads, is the fact use of sound channels.
Unless the GWB is applied directly to the wall studs it is not effective in resisting shear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back