Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H/D Ratio of Mixing Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

PW2006

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2006
US
I am trying to design a liquid mixing tank. The mixing tank volume is about 80 cubic meters. We add powders to the liquid. The specific gravity of the mixed liquid is around 1.6. Its viscosity is about 140 SSU. We normally don't use impeller mixer. We recirculation the liquid and use a few submerged jets.

Based on your experience, generally speaking, what should the best or better height/diameter ratio of a mixing tank be?

Are there some articles about this issue?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pw,
Your problem is not uncommon, the velocity of the fluid in the tank is the issue, for the mechanical stability of the tank. Keep your "jets" , but the mixing requires relative high velocities for the mentioned viscosity. You'll probably need a flat tank, ie D/H of 1.2 - 1.4. This obviously comes to a cost, the jets you are using have to generate the velocity over the 0.5 m/s and you need to ensure the tank will stand for the dynamic loads. I assume that you don't have much of the clue for the tank design, hence I suggest to talk to a tank designer to help you with a specification for your requirements.
cgeers,
gr2vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back