Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2 recovery with membrane

Status
Not open for further replies.

slire

Chemical
May 5, 2004
SE
I'm looking for a membrane separation equipment that can purify H2 (from 60% to approx. 99%), other gases in the stream are CO,H2O,CO2 and N2.
temp: are initally 800oC, but can be cooled
pressure: atmospheric (can be compressed)

Anyone who knows a company who can deliver this? I'm espacially interested in ceramic membranes if they can handle the temp.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Separating hydrogen from reformate, are we? Is your product the hydrogen, or is it the reformate? You forgot to mention a key parameter: pressure. What's your feed pressure, and required/available discharge pressure for the hydrogen? Any membrane which you plan to use will of course have a significant pressure drop across it.

I don't have any vendors to suggest to you, but there are membrane suppliers out there with a variety of membranes (metallic and otherwise) for this job. I think you can count on the need for cooling the reformate a long way below 800 C, though.

Some vendors for H2 separation.

Air Liquide [my choice, OTOH they pay me to say that *-)]
Air Products
UOP

these are all polymeric membranes and there are probably others. Last I checked, there are no fully commercialized ceramic membranes for gas separation. Metallic membranes are available but are aimed at ultra high purity applications (tritium/helium, GC H2 etc) As they use Pt/Pd as the membrane, I'm not sure passing your stream over them would produce reactions anyway.

Polymeric membranes means cooling to 80-90° C, and a compression step, so the economics of this versus competing technologies are unclear.

I would try H2 companies (such as AP and AL), and the membrane engineering section of eng-tips, where I think this was discussed once.

Dave Hasse
dave.hasse@airliquide.com
(see, I told you they pay me to say that)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back