Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2S "generation" in fuel pot

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhealy102

Petroleum
May 15, 2012
US
Okay, I'm scratching my head on this one. I have a fuel pot on a treating skid for H2S. My H2S analyzer, which also controls my scavenger pumps, was showing a value of 3ppm. This keeps my secondary pump running all of the time which is killing my chemical efficiency. I have 0ppm on the outlet of the skid, 0ppm on the outlet of the facility, 0ppm ON THE INLET of the fuel pot. I have confirmed the existence of H2S using Sensodyne and Uniphos tubes, a GasAlert Quattro 4 gas monitor, a M40 monitor and the Envent H2S analyzer. All confirmed this 3ppm value. (Analyzer sample is taken from fuel pot). When I went and checked the next day, my H2S values were 4ppm from fuel pot. Today I go check and we are up to 6.5ppm. I pulled archives from the H2S analyzer and feel that my problem is partially heat related as my values drop at night and as the temp rises in the day time, my H2S rises. I have some theories but I am not a Chemist so I want some input before I waste company time chasing in the wrong direction. If you need more info let me know. Thanks in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mhealy102,

Please post a sketch of the PFD.
What is the fuel composition, temp, pressure?
Is there a catalyst in the pot?
You confirmed the sample inside the pot. Have you confirmed the other three analyzer values?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back