Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2S Resistant Brazed Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvisosky

Petroleum
Feb 13, 2003
US
I'm doing a little research on this project I'm working on. One application involves brazing a 316SS ring onto 13Cr pipe. Problem is, this thing will possibly see some high H2S environments (its going downhole). Now I've heard that even with a higher nickel content of braze, that the brazed joint might just be eaten away by the acid.

Does anyone know of any possible combinations of brazing metals that would be resistant to this kind of environment?

Thanks,

Jason

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We do brazing for downhole applications. Your point is valid but I’m not sure how important it necessarily is. (Like loosing weight by getting your hair cut.) A braze joint is typically very deep with a very thin exposure. The etching is a surface effect and it will take a great long time for a proper braze alloy to etch out enough to make any difference. Find a good brazer and use what they typically use for downhole tools.

If you are really concerned just run a test. We put a braze alloy sample in a corrosive medium and weigh it before and after.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back