Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2S Scavenger Thermal Stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

fkyz

Chemical
Nov 1, 2006
CA
Can anyone direct me to literature regarding thermal stability of the reaction products of Hydrogen Sulfide Scavengers? The manufacturer of the scavenger we are using did not know if the reaction products were stable above their boiling point.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All I can tell you from experience is that our lean oil plant inlet gas has less than 4 ppm H2S coming in and the NGL products, ROD overhead and residue gas has over 4PPM. The temperature in the towers are 330 to 450 F, so the reaction must be going backwards in there.

I'll be very interested in this thread.

There is a large variety of H2S scavengers. Depending on the application is the scavenger. Some might even be considered non-reversible reactions, i.e. hotlime (CaO) in drilling fluids.
Something you might want to look into is the basic chemistry of the reaction, whether it is exo or endo thermal and start there by determining the possibility of reversion due to temperature. As well, you might want to see what is boiling and how these gases might affect the products of the scavenger reaction.
What is your scavenger? What will be the product? How is the reaction taking place? Ask this and you might have an answer

There was a publication in the November 2005 Hydrocarbon Engineering on Reactive Sulfur Management.

The publication mentioned that:
An effective way for scavenging H2S and mercaptans from crude oil is to use a chemical conversion reagent. This type of additive will react with either the H2S or mercaptans to form irreversibly diakylsulfides and these reaction products will not revert back to H2S or mercaptans if exposed to higher temperatures. This however dependant on scavenger used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back