Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H2SO4 production in refinery

Status
Not open for further replies.

gelpino

Chemical
Nov 1, 2002
IT
Hy all,
anyone know if in some refinery (or also in oil or coal consuming power plant) there is experiences on production of sulphuric acid instead of sulphur?It would be so a bad idea?
Thanks in advance.

Best regards

gelpino

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a mechanical engineer that gets involved more in the heat transfer, mechanical, and power aspects of refineries than the actual hydrocarbon refining processes, but I am aware of several refineries in the region I work in in the southern USA that have sulfuric acid plants in them as a by product of the refining process.

rmw

Also I have seen one oil refinery making sulfuric acid many years ago. However, present practice -due to economics- is to produce the acid close to the point of use, since truck- or rail-freight costs are substantial when compared to production costs in modern efficient plants. [pipe]

Thanks for your attention,
about trasport it may be (perhaps i mistake?)the same situation for sulphur...that costs here about 50 dollar/ton and are going down making it not a commodity but almost a true cost.
So the interest on this matter.
It would be interesting to know the name of some refinery (but also some oil or coal consuming power plant) that make or made this. So to ask about for example job security concern, or about special apparatous involved....and so on.....the challenge could be to overpass sulphur slump that will be.....no that is already a big problem.

Sorry if i say something wrong....i'm not so expert in the field

gelpino

Gelpino
There is one plant in Saarbrucken (coal/coke) that manufacture sulphuric acid out of their acid gas and have been doing that for a while. If you want more info I suggest you contact the licensor (Haldor Topsoe/Denmark) that provides the technology for this type of unit (WSA).You can find Haldor Topsoe on the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back