Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Half CMU half wood wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

JStructsteel

Structural
Aug 22, 2002
US
16' tall wall, first 6'-8" CMU. Economically do you think a cantilever vs pilaster columns and span horizontal is more feasible?
What do you think is a better detail,CMU as structure, or just use 4" cmu as veneer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Either one, really. I'm guessing the pilasters are also partial height, but you're using them to concentrate the overturning moments at discreet points, right? It will depend on the spacing of the pilasters. If you need them every 6 feet, it probably won't be worth it. Check to see which one ends up in a larger quantity of concrete. Consider, also, the reinforcement in the pilaster. That may be more involved than for a typical CMU wall.

As for which is better...a lot will depend on the architectural details and the building envelope. If you just have an 8" CMU wall, insulation may be an issue. In this case, if you're taking the block up 6'-8" and then transitioning to another material (brick, perhaps) on wood studs, then I'd just go for a full height wall with veneer and make everything easier. A 16' stud is no joke, of course, so be careful with that, but I think it will simplify the design and make construction easier.

I don't like to put materials on top of other materials that will create a pin. CMU will be cantilevered at the bottom, and there will be a free rotation joint when connected to wood.

All CMU would goto 6'-8", whether wall or pilasters at intervals.

For the top of CMU, 6'-8" is not overly tall, and would think the top would be rather stiff for a wood wall to be built on top.

Might be a moot point, I gave the architect these options and have not heard back. My 3rd idea is just a cmu veneer on the studs.

It would only be as stiff as the foundation provided overturning resistance. That footing will be big. Much bigger than anyone is probably expecting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back