Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Half increment metric sockets 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

3DDave

Aerospace
May 23, 2013
US
More of a tip than typical engineering - been watching a guy's video from the New York Rust Zone who finds too many fasteners that rust has expanded a little. He found a set of half-millimeter off sized sockets - 14.5, 15.5, etc, which seem to be quite handy. One particularly valuable use is on wheel nuts which are made with a sheet metal chrome cover, trapping the rust underneath from the salt and moisture trapping. Pounding on the correct size just strips the cover off the nut, but the 0.5mm over sockets seem to do the trick.

Not plugging names or makers; just raising awareness that these exist and won't likely be mentioned in Machinery's Handbook.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Rust increases the size of the socket and makes them hard to get on, but the rust is also going to chip off / turn to dust when you start hammering. You lose your extra head size and now you are using a slightly too large socket on a slightly smaller than normal head. For the most part I'm sure these would work but I would be a little concerned when you are working on something that is both high tq and highly rusted (everything in the midwest).

As mentioned - those lugs with the sheetmetal chrome covers trap the rust; it's not going anywhere and hammering on the "right" size just strips the cover off and now there's an undersize lugnut underneath.

Sure, if you can get into a position to hammer one on, then you are likely to also have to hammer it off again to get the rust loose. These aren't for fasteners where the rust brushes off. These are for fasteners that won't come loose otherwise. If you want, you can always use a new fastener to reinstall.

Why would these be more concern than taking a sledge hammer to normal increment socket?

Good find. I'm hoping most users would get those horrible sheet metal covered lug nuts off once and replace them with proper one piece nuts. Really surprised some enterprising bottom dwelling scum sucking lawyer hasn't created the largest class action suit in history and sued every car manufacture that ever used those awful nuts.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

3DDave said:
As mentioned - those lugs with the sheetmetal chrome covers trap the rust; it's not going anywhere and hammering on the "right" size just strips the cover off and now there's an undersize lugnut underneath.

With 95% of my lug nut hammering being on pick ups that don't use those types of nut, I can't say I've ever encountered that issue. The rust I typically encounter is always on the outside where you can scrape it off. Taking 5 seconds to hammer the socket on is usually followed by 5 minutes trying to get the nut back out so I never do that unless 100% necessary.

Are these sockets mainly for use with those types of lug nuts that I don't see or do you see them used more broadly?

I've been unfortunate enough to encounter these on most vehicles I've worked on. They are near impossible to get out of the "correct" socket if you hammer it on. If you're lucky, the casing will split cleanly and you can remove it entirely, but then you have some lug nuts that are 1mm or so smaller. Overall, these are a must have for any rust-belt mechanics and DIY.

Also, coincidentally enough, there was a lawsuit against Ford that was dismissed back in 2019.

"Some Ford dealers have had no issues with the lug nuts at the center of the dismissed case. "

Yeah - none of the owners in Arizona or New Mexico are having any problems at all. Those other states are holding the lug wrenches wrong.

Is there some magic to 0.5 mm over?

In most cases there seems to be a standard inch size socket that's "just a bit bigger" than a standard mm size socket, and the other way around.

And there are already extractor sockets specifically designed for getting rusty stuck nuts and bolts off.
I don't quite see the need for a separate set of sockets that aren't inch and aren't metric.

I live in the rust belt and my Toyotas use the factory stainless sheet covered lug nuts that become swollen lugnuts. I carry a set of the extractors in each car in case I ever need one 'on the road'. Amazon sells the set of 4 extractors in a plastic case for about $20.
Link
They work. I've used them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back