Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Hamster is powering my 6kwatt system

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitiveness

Automotive
Jun 11, 2019
US
Two equal 12v batterys front and bed of truck (slightly different age of year ish) powered by a 180amp alternator. With 550amp relay switch. How long will this take to fully charge both under normal (ish) driving conditions. I'll add the 2nd "bed" batt Is directly powering a 6kwatt (max) set of subs. Yes yes I know I need to add more amp at the alternator side and I promise I will..... before I add the other 3k watts... promise. Haha.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

12v motorcycle batteries, or 12v forklift batteries, or somewhere in the middle? Need the capacity (generally stated in amp-hours) of both of them, not just the voltage ...

On the alternator side, 180 amps at nominal 12 volts is about 2.2 kW, so your load may be capable of running the batteries down even with the charging system operating.

That's not plausible. That's probably the cranking-amp rating. You are looking for the amp-hours rating.

Which one?
It's either 44 A.h or 50 A.h ...

If you are using two of them and it's the bigger one, that's 100 A.h of capacity, and nominally the time to recharge with a 180 amp supply (and zero load!) is (100 / 180) = 0.55... of an hour ... That's plausible.

You are never going to have all 180 amps available to charge the batteries. Just running the engine and accessories will take quite a bit of that output what with lights, fans, electric power steering, fuel injection, etc. Hopefully the batteries are never fully discharged either or they won't be long for this world. Whether or not the alternator can keep the batteries charged up depends entirely on how much load the amps are actually pulling. Music is an incredibly dynamic load and just changing the volume 3 dB will change the power consumption 2:1.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Correction, yes they are 50ah each.

I have always been told that in car audio batterys Vs capacitors you should always do batterys... capacitors are fine for lower watt systems but once you get over a certain RMS multiple batterys and larger alternator(s) are the best..

will play a few songs while driving around town or interstate. So few songs with bass turned up then maybe a few minutes with no bass volume low and/or off. So maybe 50% roughly of my commute is full blast.

Invest in hearing aid stocks.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back