Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Handrail requirements at edge of sidewalk near slope

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOTE

Structural
Sep 9, 2018
US
My church is ripping out some overgrown junipers on the slope in the parking lot leading up to the building (shaded area in attached) and replacing it with more decorative (and shorter) landscaping. The existing slope gets as steep as 45% right off the sidewalk, and the total elevation change is about 3' max. There is a curb at the bottom of the slope. It is a partial width sidewalk when it gets to the steepest section.

I am wondering, at what point do we need a handrail between the sidewalk and the slope? There are currently only handrails on the two cut through sidewalks/ramps. The junipers currently act as a natural barrier because they are so thick.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=02be9d82-465c-4bf1-bdff-68f6d7af17ef&file=image0.jpeg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Based on the drawing, the ADA regs would consider that a ramp, not a sidewalk. If the rise is over 6", a ramp is required.

If the ramp is older than the ADA regs, I think it's grandfathered until the ramp is rebuilt or altered. I'm not sure if removing the junipers would count as an alteration, triggering the railing installation.

My glass has a v/c ratio of 0.5

Maybe the tyranny of Murphy is the penalty for hubris. -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back