Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hanging Folding Partition Support Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

L212

Structural
Dec 9, 2020
US
I'm designing the support for a 24' long hanging folding partition (10' tall). Spoke with manufacturer for loads, deflections, and confirmation that guides are being installed (so wall can only be folded at one end not at the center. The fun part of this one is that it's being installed at a new 10' ceiling, but the existing roof is vaulted and around 30' high (wood trusses). So, the kickers that you'd normally see aren't an easy option. I've been looking into beam designs that can take the torsion of the interior wind load on the partition and I landed on this (see image). We're in SDC B and per the ASCE Arch Components in SDC B + Importance Factor of 1.0 are exempt from the Seismic requirements in even the Seismic of Nonstructural Components Chapter. (If I use the 5 to 10% of weight for seismic like others have stated in other threads on this, wind still controls when the doors are unfolded). I left 3/4" between the partition's hanging rods and the edge of the tube. I'll weld the channel to the tube. Just figured I'd see if anyone saw any issues with this that I'm missing or if anyone has come across a similar situation and used something different. Thanks!!
Hanging_partition_support_zqo2gv.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1) Overall, I think this is a fine solution.

2) If you're really to resist loads in torsion, take care that torsion can be delivered into the supporting structural via your connections etc.

At what elevation do you plan to put the HSS? Pretty near the top of the folding wall?

If possible, the supporting structure should be independent of the building roofing structure... just heartburn for deflections. [pipe]

So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I did something similar once. But, we had to brace the suspended ceiling with a kicker brace at that location every 4 or 6 ft.... seismic concerns + OSHPD.

3/4" between the tube and the rod? Not sure where you're measurement is - but be sure to check entering and tightening clearances. It'll be a flare bevel and not a fillet weld, so that'll help, but a heavy hex nut + some weld + a wrench and that'll get cramped in a hurry.

Those are odd HSS dimensions and aren't typically stocked. I'm going through that on a project right now - GC is screaming over a tall and skinny HSS that costs way too much but I had to pick it for architectural reasons (AESS).

Something like this is conceptually similar to your idea but affords the ability to provide a whole lot of stiffness in both directions efficiently. No significant torsion. Just vertical load in the vertical beam and horizontal load in the horizontal beam.

c01_rwf0ww.png

These manufacturers often require extremely strict deflection criteria (L/2160 IIRC). Almost impossible to meet if you add in live load deflection from the floor or roof above.

JLNJ said:
These manufacturers often require extremely strict deflection criteria (L/2160 IIRC). Almost impossible to meet if you add in live load deflection from the floor or roof above.

From what I've always seen, you only are required to check deflection under LL or SL. They level and install them once the building DL is in place so the only deflection is the LL/SL component. We recently designed a frame to span ~75' with those deflection limits. Definitely only used SL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back