Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardness not up to spec 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan9

Automotive
Mar 5, 2001
US
I received some material and checked the harness of it. It is 4130 annealed, which from what I can tell is suppose to be 82 HRB. It checks out to be 64 HRB. Is this with in spec? what should I do with this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you ordered it to a certain specification, typically the specification will give you a range of hardness values that are acceptable. There should also be tolerances specified in the specification or a referenced specification.

the specs were not given to the supplier, he gave them to me, I told him I needed 4130 condition A. The spec is AMS 6350H 2301G ASTM A506. I found the ASTM A506 report, but don't know where to find the other reports. That's my dilema, I can not find what those tolerances are.

According to SAE standard J1397 "Estimated Mechanical Properties and Machinability of Steel Bars" your 4130 should have a hardness of 187 to 229 HB. That is 90.7 to 98 HRB. I think if the hardness of your sample is 62HRB you might have the wrong material or it is badly decarburised.

I agree with gdodd. I reviewed AMS 6350 and it only specifies a maximum hardness in the annealed condition....no minimum -- though the value you have does seem low for 4130 Cond A. Have the steel chemistry checked by the supplier.

;You don't say how big the piece is. If it is a forging or large rolled section, decarburization could be the problem. Annealing at high temperature for a long time can do it too. Try grinding deeper and take another test. There are minimum stock removal tolerances on Hot Rolled Bars for this reason.
Bobn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back