Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hardware showing up too large

Status
Not open for further replies.

wearules

Mechanical
Aug 19, 2015
US
I'm using SW 2017. For some reason unknown to me when I open an assembly containing hardware from the SW vault (shows a little bolt as an icon in the feature manager tree) they show up way to large (for example, a 4-40 flat washer will have an OD of 1.75"). It doesn't happen on anyone else's cpu here. So I figure it has to be a simple setting but I can't find it. Has anyone else run into this problem?

Thanks,
Ray

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think it has to do with your toolbox settings and toolbox search paths. Check File Locations, etc.

Also, your toolbox can be set up in two different ways. (For you SW-pros out there please excuse this non-IT language.) It can create a whole new file for each new fastener type or it can just create a new configuration of a basic file for that fastener type. Based on how the assembly was created the software is looking for a certain file in a certain location for each fastener. It can't find it but finds a similar basic file of that fastener type. That's what it displays.

Our company standard is that each new fastener is a separate file. 1/4-20 x 1 socket head cap screw and 1/4-20 x 2 socket head cap screw are two different files. SW toolbox has an option that allows those two constructions to be two different configurations of the same basic file. We contracted an outside company to design some equipment for us. When we opened their assembly files all the fasteners were huge! We learned that their company standard was the configuration-based style rather than separate files. We had to replace all the fasteners with our own setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back