Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

harmonics from wind generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

magoo2

Electrical
May 17, 2006
US
There's paper on the web that talks about failures of step-up transformers at wind generator installations. One culprit mentioned is harmonics. I didn't think there was enough harmonic distortion from wind generators. I know there's a dc to ac inversion required, but I didn't hear any mention about unusually high levels of harmonics associated with these types of installations. Does any one have experience with them enough to comment on this issue?

I'll look for the link but it was by someone from Pacific Crest Transformers.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First, you would probably have to know what type of wind turbine was involved. Some of them use a full inverter, so these could have higher harmonic magnitudes than other types.

There can be voltage issues related to the long runs of underground cable that is often run for the collector systems.

This paper discusses the common technologies used.

While harmonics may or may not triverse the transformer well, they will cause heat. It the transformer is not designed for such extra heating, they can fail even if the power through it appears to be able to be sufficent.

Simular issue to three legged cores carring large zero sequence flux. The stray flux can travel through the case and other parts not sized for flux capacity, and cause over heating.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back