Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Harmonics 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjy

Electrical
Nov 15, 2001
GB
could someone please tell me what effects harmonics have on single-phase measurements, especially in circuits containing reactive components, thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Harmonics may alter your measurements as you measure an alterred wave with equipment built for sinusoidal waves. It may happen that during your measurement the distortion will increase or decrease the quantity measurev (V I) or it may disturb the impedence of the equipment used to measure . For measuring in an environment with harmonics you have to use adequate equipment , as minimum for example you have to use True rms measuring Clamp Amper-Meters or you need to know that your Voltmeter is able to measure a distorted wave. Any how if you know you have harmonics use only equipment that is designed to work with harmonics .
Any other question I will be pleased to help. A.Rash BScEE & PE
a_rash@bigfoot.com

Suggestions:
1. Select a meter that measures true RMS
2. Use oscilloscope or harmonic analyzer to obtain the extent of the harmonic content and harmonic distortion
3. It also depends what you intend to measure. The power measurements that involve contaminated voltage and current by harmonics in a multi-phase power supply system are more involved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back