Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

has there been a submersible pump installed in a geothermal well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

etrobal

Mechanical
May 27, 2008
SA
gentlemen,

greetings again, indeed.

one of our clients is requesting for a technical data sheet and specifications for a submersible pump supposedly for use in a geothermal well, 3500 metres deep, with the temperature ranging from 12-160degC and static pressure at 33.4mpag, flow estimated at 20 to 200 l/s. the specs should include power cables and all other systems to put the pump into operation.

my subsequent internet surfing revealed that the US DOE R&D Geothermal agenda for 2015 showed that "downhole pumps capable of withstanding EGS conditions while sustaining sufficient EGS flow rates do not yet exist."

however, in the same breadth, chinese manufacturers' websites on submersible pumps intalled in geothermal wells seems to be in existence already.

has china surpassed the us of a in r&d of submersible pumps installed in geothermal wells? can you please direct me to a credible website where we can extract data for such a pump, if it is already in existence?

any advice on whether a submersible pump is a viable alternative in extracting the heat of the earth will be highly appreciated. i have also read that this pumps are being used in oil extraction, albeit in different conditions than geothermal.

thank you again, indeed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have done this for a client in Wabasca, Alberta. The flows where not as high, but the technology was solid.

The Chinese claim to be everything good about a particular industry. That's why they come over here to steal our technology, because theirs is so good. If you ever get a chance to go over to China, you will know why.

I would be very leary about reading any manufacturers' claim, Chinese or not. Salesmen are in the business of selling, you will find maintenance and warranty work to be particularly void of salesman.

So buyer beware.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back