Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hazardous area electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneCold

Chemical
Mar 11, 2003
US
I am interested in peoples opinion about buying equipment rated by agencies out side of there own country. For instance I am looking for a camera for use in the USA. Area classification is Class 1 Div1 Group C+D. Most of the cameras out there are ATEX rated. The chemical company I work for have in the past avoided anything not specifically rated for the USA. What does everyone else do?With FM, CSA, ATEX, IS out there we end up excluding what I am sure are good equipment but lack the label valid in the US. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks
StoneCold

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Selling or using "labeled" equipment is not a law per se. It becomes a 'requirement' if the local AHJ or regulations requires them or have adopted such requirement in applicable laws.

Professional liability issues and insurance requirements also weigh in greatly in the final decision. "Good" equipment is subjective and can't help you much, if you end up in a situation requiring explanation for your choice. If all involved parties, agree to use a non-listed equipment, it can be used.

Also if those "good" equipment are really good and they want them to sell in the USA, they can have them listed/labeled in the USA. By the same token, user can also have them field evaluated and have them labeled for their benefit. Does it cost? Yes.

Just my opinion.

Rafiq Bulsara

I'm sure it happens that perfectly good equipment is excluded due to lack of proper certification for a particular country.

As Rafiq says, the local authority will have the final say as to whether it can be installed or not. The owner may have their own safety rules.

But there is, unfortunately, a huge liability issue that cannot be overlooked. An explosion in a classified area will have everyone looking for something and someone to blame. The truth will quickly get trampled in a stampede of lawyers looking for a payday. Your company (or insurance company) may have decided that it is just not worth the risk.

David Castor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back