Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HCL off gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChipFuller

Mechanical
Apr 18, 2003
US
We store 36% HCL inside in one of our processing buildings. The scrubber had leak and we off gassed HCL through the building. This has caused the galvanized conduits and piping to rust plus coat MCC. We taken samples on the inside of the MCC and no evidence of HCL. My questions are do I need to get the residue off of the conduit, pipe, and MCC and if so with what? After I get the residue what sort paint or coating should I reapply onto these? Is there some sort of sniffer to install to alarm us if this occurs again? I can mitigate the MCC by making sure the door is closed.

Thanks in advance.

Chip Fuller

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experience is, scrubbers are located outside. That would have prevented the issue.

Pressure wash with copious amounts of pH neutral water? Contact Sherwin Williams, Behr, PPG or Glidden on the type of coating. I'm sure you can google HCl detectors and get millions of hits. We have detectors, but not for HCl.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

We produce 36% HCl and use Mil-Ram sensors. Model TA-2102 or similar. Read in the 0-10ppm range.

As said, wash up with water until neutral, or if highly acidic, a soda ash solution can be used to neutralize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back