Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HDPE Butt Fusion Machine for Arctic Pipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineerd

Civil/Environmental
Apr 24, 2006
US
Does anyone know of a HDPE Butt Fusion Machine that will fuse 6"-10" x 18" HDPE Arctic Pipe without having to strip the CMP Jacket back. I am looking for a light weight machine that is designed for close quarter fusing.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

All butt fusion machines that I know of require a grip on the pipe itself so any exterior insulation (CMP) would have to be stripped back. However such a machine may exist, so I suggest you search the net & talk to the equipment manufacturers.
Butt welding machines are generally larger & heavier than those needed for electro fusion fittings and will be harder to use in cramped quarters. Although electro-fusion couplers / fittings are generally more expensive than butt welded joints, they may have some advantages in your situation (cheak for "HDPE pipe fittings" on the net).
Whatever equipment you choose, you may want to try it out inside a cold store just to make sure it will function in artic conditions.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back