Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Headcut erodibility modeling software and general pond design software

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTEIT

Civil/Environmental
Dec 9, 2011
US
Hello,

I am somewhat new to the world of hydrology and pond design, but have recently became interested in offering pond design services. I have done quite a bit of recent research on the subject, and had extensive education in the hydrology department several years ago.

I have been researching different software that helps with the following:
1. Mapping software that allows easy preliminary inspection of USGS topography, aerials, and soils data, to define prime locations
2. CAD software that allows for 3d modeling of existing surveyed grade and proposed design, to calculate cut-fill balance, as well as aid in geotechnical feasibility studies
3. Hydrology software that calculates SCS method runnoff, staging, and outlet structure sizing of single ponds

For items 1 and 2, I am battling between three setups: Autocad Civil 3D, Carlson Civil Suite, and Carlson Takeoff R6

For item 3 I have evaluated several programs such as HEC-HMS, HydroCAD, Hydraflow, and "SITES" (by NRCS). After reading numerous bad reviews, I have thrown out the possibility of Bently-Haestead software.

Our target client is high end recreational/agricultural property owners looking for pond design consulting.
Most all of our designs have been comprised of a either a riser pipe or a siphon pipe for primary spillway, with an earth trapezoidal weir auxillary spillway.

All of the stated hydrology software seems capable of modeling my simple setups, except that I would like the capability of evaluating headcut erodibility in the Aux Spillways. SITES by NRCS(SCS) is the only software I can find that evaluates soil type and stress in the spillway. I HATE SITES due to the poor interface, no support (the government employees don't understand deadlines), and tough to navigate error codes. I am yet to have a successful run with SITES, although I know it can evaluate erodibility.

Does anyone have suggestions for erodibility software?

I would also like your input on how each sets of software interact with each other.
For example: ease of transferring stage storage and runnoff data from a pond model in carlson civil to hydroCAD.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the quick reply peter,

I discovered some of these capabilities in the demo last night. I have two questions about carlson and hydrocad.

1. I do quite a few "preliminary/desktop" evaluations using just USGS and Soils data. Does Carlson have quick and easy process to import USGS or DEM models? The import Google earth TIN file comes to mind, but seemed to have some bugs to it and crashed the program. I assume downloading a DEM file from "the National Map" is another option, but adds more steps to the process.
I was hoping for something along the lines of a web mapping service (WMS) or web feature service (WFS) where you zoom to an area, and click "download data" for topography.

2. The same question for soils. I can download soils shape files by county, but the shape files dont have soil classes etc. like I can find on SURGO. Is there a streamlined process to import soils data other than drawing plines over a picture?

Thanks,
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back