Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Header beam above the cripples!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan CA

Structural
Mar 10, 2018
CA
Hi,

In most garages I review, I see that the builder had constructed the header beam (LVL or double-ply sawn) just under the roof frame but above the cripples (the 1~2 feet high studs above the garage door). This is definitely not right as the beam should be the lowest component, working as a lintel above the garage door.
Anyway, if we are repairing a damaged pillar only, can we just replace the pillar, or should we correct the heqder thing? Is the engineer responsible (legally and structurally) to do so? Or is it too much to rearrange (maybe redesign) the whole garage front elevation just cause the pillar was hit by a car and nothing else is damaged?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I disagree with your assessment that putting the header at the top of the wall is wrong. That's not an uncommon way to frame a wall. Now if you're using it as a lateral force resisting component (portal frame), it may pose a problem. Otherwise, it's not a problem at all.

For your situation, I would only be concerned with what was damaged.

Agree with phamENG. That is a relatively common detail for headers. It allows all the headers to be the same width (only changing by length) and they carry the bearing of the roof trusses or rafters into the trimmer studs which carry the vertical loads to the foundation.

Jim

I agree with phamENG and jim. Just focus on the damaged pillar.

Thank you very much for your opinion. Highly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back