Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Headset interface design

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonMartin

Electrical
Nov 14, 2001
DE
Hi,
i want to design a device with a headset design. I'm not very familiar with analog/audio signal designs yet, so i'm looking for some guidance here. Does anybody know where i could find some sort of standard audio interface design for a headset interface? The chip manufacturers usually use a simple reference design with two 2.5mm or 3.5mm sockets, one for the headphones and one for the Microphone.
I want to have one interface for both. Of course it should work with standard headphones (mono is ok) and microphones as well. Is it a problem if i want it to be possible to use different microphone types (kondensator, dynamic, piezo)? Any help very much appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello, what is the intended purpose of the design? The physical interface can be quite simple if you are just looking to eliminate using 2 connectors for the mic/headphone. The broadcast industry standard is a 4 or 5 pin XLR connector which is reasonably durable and offers a much more reliable connection than 2.5mm or 3.5mm phone jacks. As for the electronics with which you will be interfacing with, more info is needed. Generally speaking a dynamic mic circuit will not work with a condenser mic because of the lack of power on the line. A dynamic mic may work with a condenser circuit, but the power will be shorted through the coil of the mic. Without a current limiter of some sort this may damage the mic and or the circuit. A piezo mic would probably work in either circuits, but another factor to consider is the impedance of the various mics. Piezos and condensers are high impedance and a dynamic is low impedance. Mismatching can result in significant level differences from one combination to another. If you were designing the circuits you could have switches to change mic types. Thats about all I can say without an application to go on. -regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back