Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Health Care Renovation - Cable removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

roncarr

Computer
Jan 9, 2003
US
I work at a Health Care Facility in New York. We are in the process of construction and renovation. We will have many dead or abandoned cables. I have been informed that I must remove these cables as we go. I cannot seem to find a regulatory agency that is mandating this removal. I agree it is a good idea, however, the Infection Control Risk Accessment procedures make this a very expensive portion of the project. Does anyone have any information to help guide us?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Authority for the requirements of Abandoned Cable Removal are based in NFPA 70, National Electric Code 2002.
The issue is not for clearance of space, but the flammability of the sheathing of the abandoned cables, many of which may be unlisted and may release toxic vapors if exposed to high temperatures below those required for an open flame to occur.
Your best action would be to contact your local AHJ (Authority Having Jurisdiction) in the Electrical Inspection Bureau or the Fire Inspectors Bureau for additional support on this issue. If a variance is granted to you that the abandonded cable may remain, insure that you get the variance in writing and post it during the entire renovation project.
Also you might want to contact your Insurance Underwriter to get their requirements, but my best guess is that you will be required to remove it totally.
Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back