Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hearing spectrum for seaguls

Status
Not open for further replies.

okdb

Mechanical
Feb 11, 2003
NO
Well, I got a good question today from a client having a problem with seaguls: would it be possible to hold the seaguls away by means of sound "uncomfortable" to birds but non-perceivable by humans?

I don't know if seaguls are sensitiv to ultrasound. Does anybody know? Who has a hearing spectrum for seaguls?

Many thanks in advance

OkdB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I once had a co-op student look up this exact problem, but it was for birds in fruit trees. Apparently, their hearing spectrum is not as wide as human hearing... You could possibly do what they do in some orchards, producing a loud impact noise periodically (like a gunshot).. as long as you aren't trying to do it in a residential area...

Thanks for your information Emmet,

Yes, it's close to a residential area. I got the idea of playing the "scream" of a seagul's ennemy in a loudspeaker. Not I've to find wether seaguls have ennemies and who they are...

OkdB

They will probably get used to any sound you can create once they realise it is not an actual physical threat. I am sure you will be able to surprise them, but for how long?

In my own battles with nature, I have found only a physical barrier backed up with something real that can hurt, like an electric fence, works. Animals are very smart, and very patient. After all, they have nothing else to do.

#8 shot in a 12 ga.?

Sorry, I just had to interject that. How about Falcons? A few large cities have introduced Falcons to help control their pigeon problems. This is enviormentally friendly and also helps to restore an endangered species. The problem is I think it is pretty expensive (shot shells are cheaper). But, you might be able to make it a cooperative project with a local environmental or bird watchers group. (?)

The owl decoy trick doesn't work. I have seen a number of them tried at lakes in northern Wisconsin and believe it or not, I've actually seen seagulls perched on the owl decoy!

Hehe, its like those cardboard cutout police officers with radar guns they tried along the highways.

It worked really well for about two days. The average seagull is probably about as smart as the average motorist.

okdb

"aviat" is right on with Bird-X. I have witnessed their effectiveness. They claim to use the birds own warning call, therefor the bird can't tell the red herring (He, He) from their own. Seagulls are really dumb. But they can sure empty a bag of french fries in a hurry and mess up a cars paint finish (esp. right after a car wash).

Good Luck

pennpoint

You may check with wildlife authorites. I think seagulls are a protected species and "annoying them may be illegal"
IE throwing alka-selzer pieces in the air cost a friend a few hundred dollars!

byrdj,

I do think there is a difference between legitimate control methods and cruelty. I would personally consider feeding seagulls frence fries or alka-selzer cruel, but methods to remove or limit their population to prevent public health problems would be OK. Even the quick death from a 12 ga. COULD be considered humane in some circumstances.

Just my humble opinion.

All these responses are amusing. The important one, however, is that seagulls are protected, and you mess with them at your legal peril.
Live with them. They have as much "right" to be here as we do and have you noticed the amount of mess we make?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back