Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heart ES-30

Status
Not open for further replies.

rb1957

Aerospace
Apr 15, 2005
CA
another electric "pipe-dream".

I don't know the installed power, but they say 30 pax has a range (with reserves) of 200km and a recharge time of 30 minutes.
They do have an ugly pannier, presumably for the batteries ... at least convenient for ground re-charge.

And with a strutted wing, max speed will be low.

"Hoffen wir mal, dass alles gut geht !"
General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can see some logic for an APU charging batteries (it'd be working at its optimum design point, so most efficient)
but it is an ugly compromise ... this approach has been disregarded in cars.

but they also say electric only operation. I guess adding the range extender gives them some tolerance to electric only "foul ups".

But certifying this isn't going to be easy.

General Paulus, Nov 1942, outside Stalingrad after the launch of Operation Uranus.

yeah, I used "APU" as shorthand for "some gasoline engine that's only driving generators"

The Far out there thought being given its a 45 minute reserve @ cruise (Part 135 & Part 121) I wonder what the installed weight would look like with say a dozen small solid fuel rockets and regenerative breaking om the props & flying the aircraft on a saw tooth flight profile. GA manages to cope with rockets for airframe chutes so its not impossible.

I don't think this, and "Alice" are pipe dreams.

Rather, they are business bets on future battery advances.

Get the design done. Get the aircraft certified.

Be first on the market when batteries get good enough to make commercial electric flight viable.

ok, now That is a pipe dream ! along the lines of a fission power plant for a plane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back