Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat capacity at constant volume 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 28, 2001
IN
To design any flowmeter, both heat capacity i.e. at constant pressure and at constant volume is required.

Heat capacity at constant pressure is available at various books. But it is not available at contant volume.

I guess there is a relation between them. Request to help if there is any relation and what is that

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the medium and at what temperature? This varies depending on the medium. Cp is generally higher than Cv by an approximate range of 1.2 to 1.5. For air at room temperature, the k factor (which is Cp divided by Cv) is 1.4.

Specific heat at constant pressure (Cp) is the energy required to raise a unit of mass of a substance one degree while holding the pressure constant.

Specific heat at constant volume (Cv) is the energy required to raise a unit of mass of a substance one degree while holding the volume constant. For gases, this takes 30% less energy (give or take, depending on the substance) than doing the same at constant pressure.

TS!

Cp/Cv = expansion coefficient and Cp-Cv = universal gas constant.

Regards,

Note: Cp and Cv are specific heats.
Truth: Even the hardest of the problems will have atleast one simple solution. Mine may not be one.

TS,

k=Cp/Cv is not generally correct for real gases. It is an ideal gas law convention. Your best bet for developing Cp's and Cv's for real gases is to use an equation of state. In the natural gas ompressor business BWRS and Lee-Kessler are the most popular EoS's.

Regards,

Gunnar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back