Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat conduction with variable conductivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SC83

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2018
BE
I want to reduce the heat conduction through a steel rod by locally reducing the cross-section of the steel rod. However, it seems that the conduction through the rod is not dependent on the position of the reduced cross-section (i.e. near the hot or cold surface). I'm trying to explain this mathematically (see attachment Link), but I'm stuck. Can somebody help me?

Boundary conditions:
[ul]
[li]The temperature through the rod goes from 300 K to 20 K.[/li]
[li]The rod has a reduced cross-section A2 << A1. A2 has a length L2. The cross-section A1 = A3.[/li]
[li]The total length of the rod doesn't change, i.e. L1 + L2 + L3 = L. The length of L2 is constant, L1 and L2 can vary to position the reduced cross-section near 300 K or 20 K.[/li]
[li]The thermal conductivity changes with the temperature, i.e. k(T) = k0 + aT.[/li]
[/ul]

Question: why is Q not changing with L1 and L3 and how can I prove this mathematically (see attachment Link)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In your pdf, the next step is to substitute k1 = k0 + a/2*(T1+T2), k2 = k0 + a/2*(T2+T3), k3 = k0 + a/2*(T3+T4). Because thermal conductivity is linear with temperature, you can use the average temperature. Whether you can use this to show analytically that Q is independent of L1, or if it's worth the effort to do so, is up to you.

By the way, it is not only true that Q is independent of L1 if k is linear with temperature. It's true for any arbitrary function k(T), even a discontinuous one. You can demonstrate this by numerically integrating Fourier's law for any k(T).

-mskds545

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back