Heat detector in transformer yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

helpyou

Automotive
Sep 26, 2011
QA
Hi

Want to ask about the location where to install heat detector in transformer yards..should it be installed on top of transformer or underneath ? What is the standard that specifies this one?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Heat detector in the transformer yard? Why do you want to detect heat there?

Don't you mean transformer fire detector? I know a lot of locations with numerous transformers in one yard . . .

CR

"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another." [Proverbs 27:17, NIV]

When you said Heat detector, I thought IR camera, but that seems wrong.

We use IR camera to detect heat signatures for bad connections, and fins in transformers what maybe blocked.

HI

I was talking about fire detector to detector transformer fire. We use in some locations Heat detector ? Some use flame detector? Your comments please ..

Heat detectors are located in carefully chosen locations all around the transformer (different elevations) and on top of the transformer.
I haven't seen anyone providing detectors under the transformers.
You may refer to IEEE 979 Guide for Substation Fire Protection and NFPA 850 Recommended practice for Fire Protection in Electric Generating Stations...
I cant find an IEC for Fire protection of transformers though IEC 61936 Power Installations exceeding 1kV.

Thank you guys for your responses

One more question please ,

In some transformer yards, I have seen flame detectors installed and in some yards , heat detectors are installed. Why such a difference? I was told heat detectors are more suitable. Does it mean that flame detectors is a wrong engineering decision..

Your comments please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back