Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

heat dissipation of panel boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

wangi

Electrical
Jan 5, 2013
OM
How to calclate the heat dissipation from Motor control centres with incomer MCCB and Variable frequency drives ,star delta starters etc .

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wangi,
It is the responsibilty of the MCC manufacturer to size the MCC cubicles in regards to the heat dissipation of the components installed.
That is in South Africa SANS regulation we cannot prescibe the cubicle sizes.SIEMENS and ABB have software for sizing there MCC cubicles.
Regards,
Paddy.

I suspect the OP is interested in determining the heat load imposed on the building HVAC system. I'm out of the office, but Cutler-Hammer (Eaton) has some approximations in their Consultants reference catalog, or at least they used to. I suspect other manufacturers have some rules of thumb as well. You might do some Internet searching.

This is a long hard slog. List all the components. Go to the manuals and get the heat dissipation for on load and off load conditions. Look at what will be on simultaneously. Some manufacturers will given heat dissipation at different loads. You will be shocked at VSDs. The better VSDs will have through mount so the heat sink goes into the bus bar compartment. Soft starters go off line with by pass contractors, so unless it does frequent starts, you can neglect that. Preparation plates need .tp be perforated to allow the air flow. IEC 60439-1 and the South African SANS allow 130 degrees Celcius as bus bar temperatures. This is very high if you have toair condition the room for Africa conditions. When you add the cost of air-conditioning, energy to run them, maintenance and the people to fix it and petrol to get there, I calculated that the once off price to run at 70 is a working option.

Don't forget to add the energy and heat for stop and start lamps and any HMI units. There is also heat dissipation in the stop push button if you really get technical. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back