Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

heat effects in Catia GPS (generative part structural analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerKr

Structural
May 23, 2006
SE
I'm looking at how to improve a component which is in direct contact with a heater. The objective is to improve heat transfer between the heater and this component. I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do for my analysis, but I'm not sure it's doable within GPS. I want to apply a temperature load at the contact points between the heater and component and see how the heat transfers to the rest of the component.
I know it's not necessary to do this as it's sort of obvious what effect the changes I'm considering will have but it would help put a ratio on the improvement (or lack thereof)

oh yes, I could easily make a test analysis to see if this can be done, but all of the (floating) licenses seem to be in use at this time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PerKr

I have looked at your problem and it seems, indeed, that it is impossible to do what you want to do with GPS. For one thing,you can only apply a temperature field on a "body" or surface (which I've never done successfully). So it seems impossible to apply a temperature only on a small portion ofthe body.(Might be possible via data mapping though) Also, when defining analysis properties of your material, only the thermal expansion coefficient can be entered. This is because GPS only look at the expansion - contraction effect of the temperature over the part. No transient solution.

But, if you right click on the material of your part (in GPS), you will see that you can set your material to "temperature material" or "non-linear material", at least, in Catia V5 R17. There, you can enter a conductivity, emissivity and specific heat for the material. All this is pretty much useless as you need a specific "partner" program to be able to used them.

For thermal solution, you need Fluent for Catia V5. For non-linear analysis, I think Dassault bought ABAQUS. So in order to do your analysis, you would probably have to look how you can access the Fluent program, or use another program as IDEAS/TMG for example. Nastran might be able to do it also.

If you do, tell me how it works as in my company, we don't have access to this program.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back