Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat exchanger designing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

I would really appreciate if anybody could advice me if I could design a heat exchanger using shell and tube type in an air-conditioning unit to heat air flow of 1.0m3/s at
–10c to 25C using a hot water supply available at a temperature of 55C. How should I go about it? I am required to use the NTU method rather than the LTMD method for this assignment. Some assumptions are required to start the calculations and that is the area that I'm not sure on how should I go about it. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mechanical Engineering Reference Manual for the PE Exam, by Michael R. Lindeburg.

Difficult to explain the process on here, best if you got a hold of the above mentioned book....it is a great book and has heat exchanger design theory and practical examples.

You can design a heat exchanger for the conditions you mentioned above.

what should be the dimensions of combustion chamber, the fuel consumption per hour, the number and length of 1" OD stainless tubes and its thickness if im going to design a firetube water heater(like the design of James Watt) at 60 gallons per minute of water with about 40 degree celsius change in temp. the fuel that im going to use is wood. thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back