Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEAT EXCHANGER EXPANSION JOINTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

2468jjcr

Petroleum
Aug 2, 2007
Hi every body,

May bellows expansion under ASME VIII Div-1, according to MANDATORY APPENDIX 26, fabrication at shop without ASME certificate holder and during fabricated is under control by vessel ASME certificate holder (Welding, QA and testing) to be complied with UG-11 (b)?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

UG-11(b) Cast, Forged, Rolled, or Die Formed Nonstandard Pressure Parts.

You stated in your request that the "Welding" will comply with UG-11(b). UG-11(b) does not include welded parts, therefore, no. It cannot satisfy UG-11(b).

There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't.

Because it was in parentheses, I took the bit about welding as that the vessel certificate holder had certificates in welding, not that the bellows expansion required welding.

With some liberal rewording, I understand 468jjcr's question to be "Would I still meet UG-11b if my (Div VIII, Sect 1) bellows expansion was done in a non-ASME shop but under the supervison of someone who held an ASME certificate?"

468jjcr, is this the question you need answered?

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

vpl,
Perhaps you are correct....the questioner (468jjcr) does not make it clear.....also, I see that UHX-16 does not require strict compliance to Appendix 26, and leaves room for alternative design ie..U-2(g).

UHX-16 THIN-WALLED EXPANSION JOINTS
Thin-walled expansion joints shall be in accordance with
Appendix 26, as applicable. Thin-walled expansion joints
not covered by Appendix 26 shall be in accordance with
U-2(g).

As an ASME Certificate holder, I would be consulting with my AIA of record for the answer. I have never come across this before. It may be possible.

There are three kinds of people in this world; those who can count and those who can't.

If you mean to ask whether a non-code shop can fabricate a thin bellows-type expansion joint under the supervision of the coded shop and using the coded shops weld procedures, the answer is no. What you can do is supply the material for the can, weld the can in your shop then sub-contract the forming operation to the non-code shop. You then perform all of the remaining assembly, welding, testing, etc. in your code shop. Anyways, always check with your AI before to be sure he agrees before proceeding. This will make your life easier.

vpl,

Let me try this way,
1) Company "A"(code shop) have to construction heat exchanger C/w bellows expansion joint. But company "A" have no any experience for expansion joint, then subcontract (company B)to forming, welding and testing a bellows expansion joint, which is to be a part of stamped vessel. Under what conditions may this work be performed?

Million thanks.

2468jjcr,
Refer Clause U-2b)(2) of ASME VIII, Div.1. This should clarify the responsibility of assemblying a heat exchanger with components manufactured by third party sub-contractors.
Cheers,
gr2vessels

I will add this.....a one off piece is not possible per UG-11 in any case and particularly if welding is performed by a non ASME Certificate holder, gr2vessels clearly notes this by reference to U-2(b)(2).

UG-11 is reserved for those parts listed in Manufacturer's Literature, such as catalogs and the like....... If one were to go about building parts of large quantities to a Manufacturers Standard and publish the part information etc... It may be possible, however, I do not think it could sustain itself in the market. Too many variables exist for this type of construction and in my opinion a "one size fits all" approach would have to be considered....possible but unlikely. I still believe consultation with an AIA would be necessary if a large volume and establishing a Manufacturer's Standard is desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back