Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Exchanger - Shell side fluid film coefficient

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam35

Mechanical
Sep 14, 2003
CA
I am designing a tubesheet on a shell and tube heat exchanger per TEMA. I want to calculate film coefficient h0 for the shell side fluid so that I can calculate the differential thermal growth. Can someone help me with this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There's a section on calculating the shell-side film coefficient in the Wolverine Engineering Data Book:

I've run a few calculations of mean metal temperatures using the method outlined in TEMA, and I found that the film coefficients you use have almost NO impact on the tube mean metal temperature at all. Therefore, I would think you could safely assume the coefficient for the purposes of the thermal expansion calculation.

-Christine

The tubeside mean metal temperature is determined for the calculation of the differential thermal expansion.

There are various published methods that determine Outside Film Heat Transfer Coefficients. The effects of the baffles, lane and window leakages are used to correct the heat transfer coefficient so obtained.

You need to calculate film heat transfer coefficients (i.e. hi, ho, hw, hfo, hfio) and overall heat transfer coefficient Uo.

Next step to determine the mean metal wall temperature is determine the temperature profile. Th, Twh, Twc, Tw. The fractional temperature drop remains equal to the fractional contribution to the overall heat transfer coefficient.

The mean metal temp is the temperature at half the thickness of the tube.
Now you are ready with the parameter that is to be used for thermal expansion.

In case you need more info, share with me your process details / email on chemxl@rediffmail.com

Best luck...

Hi,

I have just recently completed my thesis on a shell and tube heat exchanger. I have written a chapter on the determination of both shell and tube side heat transfer coefficients. If you are interested forward the details to me, i can either send you the section of the shell side steps, or you can look up the research posed by Kern (1950) or Bell (1960) (1963). I can send you the exact book for reference if u e-mail me.

Regards
David
davidr@absamail.co.za

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back