Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat flow meter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRG

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2002
US
Hello,

I am looking for some type of meter that would be suitable for a small electrical utility to market their recovered heat. If I can find a packaged unit that can meter the amount of BTUs that have dropped in a glycol loop circuit, it would facilitate the design. The problem is that my clients are not sophisticated and thus require a reliable tamper proof metering system. If we have to design a PLC system to record the delta T and flow, this project will not be feasible. Has anyone seen an off the shelf unit for this type of application?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

to moniotor the heat flow,u need 2 things.1- a liquid flow meter & 2- a temp. tranimitter. And then u need an indicator which will receive signals from both flow meter and temp.trans.
then it will calculate and display the heat flow rate.

u have to install the flow meter and TT in the flow line.

but this will b a costly one.

If you want something really simple you could turn into the calories meters that are used in homes to calculate the cost of central heating systems.
They essentially assume a constant flow rate (I don't know if this is your case, of course a circuit with constant configuration is required) and integrate the hot temperature over time, also assuming an essentially constant return temperature.
A more sophisticated type of meter includes a rotary meter and is hence capable of accounting for flow too.
This kind of meters are in the consumer market, so their cost shouldn't be very high, however they are normally limited to small flows (a few cubic meters per hour) and temperatures below 100°C.

prex

Online tools for structural design

CRG!

The meters are already available. The math, memory and metering is built into one. They are called BTU Meters. Check with Spirax Sarco Metering Division. (Krone, a subsidiary of Spirax manufactures these meters)Endres+Hauser also has these meters but computational part is given separately.

If you don't have a control system better go for those relatively expensive meters. Otherwise I would suggest using two temperature transmitters for inlet and outlet loop temperatures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back