Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Loss in Pipe-Fluid Not Moving 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

RJB32482

Chemical
Jan 19, 2005
US
Hey,
I am trying to calculate heat loss of a fluid in a pipe where the initial temperature of the fluid in the pipe is greater than ambient temperature. The pipe is open to the atmosphere. The tubing is not insulated. The fluid is not flowing in the pipe, just sitting there.

I am assuming there is no forced convection in this fluid since the Re number would be 0. So I found two correlations to calculate the Nu number for free convection (turbulent and laminar flow). Could I just use the laminar flow correlation (from Churchill and Chu "Correlating Equations for Laminar and Tubular Free Convection from a Horizontal Cylinder) to calculate this heat loss.

Is there another method for this calculation?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RJB32482,

"So I found two correlations to calculate the Nu number for free convection (turbulent and laminar flow)." This is confusing to me. Did you mean natural convection when you said free convection? If so, there should be no flow or velocity components to input to those correlations, because natural convection is for no forced flow situations. The only flow that occurs during natural convection is due to temperature and density differences. Use a relavent natural convection correlation.

Good luck,
Latexman

Thanks for the help,

But wouldn't I use this equation since the flow is neither Laminar or Turbulent:

Q=(Delta T)/[(1/h*A)+(LN(ro/ri)/(2*pi*k*L))]

Now do I use the equations for the Nu number to find h(convective coefficient) or do I just ignore convection for the heat loss estimate? (Can estimate average wind speed). I have already ignored convection through the silicone fluid.

Thanks

To clear it up, the piping is indoors so wind speed is minimum. Is there a rule of thumb wind speed used for indoor applications so I can get a rough estimate of convective heat loss?

Thanks.

Speak to someone knowledgeable in the HVAC of the building this pipe goes through to get an average velocity number. If it's essentially nil, you have an unsteady state heat transfer problem with natural circulation on the outside (the air) and natural circulation on the inside (the fluid). The conduction through the metal pipe wall may be significant in your case since the heat transfer coefficient on the inside and outside are going to be relatively low.

Good luck,
Latexman

Excuse me, I meant the resistance to heat transfer through the metal pipe wall may be significant in your case since the heat transfer coefficient on the inside and outside are going to be relatively low.

Good luck,
Latexman

OK, is there ant sense in finding the convective heat transfer coefficient for the fluid in the pipe (since the flow is 0)and I can just use the resistance from conduction through the pipe and convective heat transfer to the air?

Thanks, now if there was flow of the silicone in the pipe. I would just use the correlations to find the convective heat transfer coefficient for the inside correct?

Thanks for all the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back