Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Heat Markings on plate? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korichnevijgigant

Aerospace
Oct 7, 2009
US
My company is required to provide material traceability on all the parts that go into our product

we recently have been struggling with a very poor vendor that has not been following through, but our management is pushing to use the stuff they produced instead of pursuing other avenues/means

SO we have issues on all fronts, but the biggest that could bite us is that the MTRs they provided jive for the most part, except for some of the materials, like the plate and angle

I have never been required to do traceability on everything like this before, so generally we have provided MTRs and heat numbers for the parts that have these stamped/marked on the raw material, but I do not recall seeing anything on these particular parts

Thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes. Based on your one comment...
but the biggest that could bite us is that the MTRs they provided jive for the most part, except for some of the materials, like the plate and angle
. This is a red flag that must be removed or walk away from this vendor. The last thing you need is loss of material traceability.

First, you flow this requirement to your supplier, put it on the POs.
Make sure that he knows that if any piece of material shows up without a clear heat number on it you don't take it off of the of the truck.
Most material specs have a section addressing marking, make sure that you know which apply to your products and require compliance.
And you need to audit these jokers. If their paper trail isn't prefect tell your boss that they are liars.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, Plymouth Tube

thanks for the response.

it actually is on our PO terms, and they have failed to delivery on pretty much everything, but my boss and the supply team have turned a blind eye and accepted delivery without involving the quality team

SO now we have this giant expensive non compliant hunk of steel sitting in our factory that we cannot do anything with

I am still in shock that they let them go ahead with work without WPS on file for every weld type

Sound like someone wants to spend some time at the grey bar motel. Keep your name off anything associated with this monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back