Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Pipe Design and Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean001

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2005
US
Hello,

Does anyone have information on courses targeting design of heat pipes. I have read some books on the subject but would like "hands on" training as well. My goal is to be able to design a heat pipe and provide a manufacturer with the specs to build it. I do not want to provide the manufacturer with system information and have them design the heat pipe due to NDA issues.

Sean

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

around 1990 there were published several texts on this subjecct , and also several conferences. I would go to a research library and conduct a science citation abstract search on heat pipes from that time frame.

After 1990, much of the commercial interest had petered out due to the failure of a heat pipe primary air heater .

Other issues not often discussed- for many of these heat pipes, the fluid sealed inside can be considered toxic or hazardous, and a fialure of the tubing during shipment can lead to enormous cleanup costs and penalties.

I think that you'd be much better off figuring out how to convey the critical information to a supplier under an NDA or other vehicle. I just don't see why any "system" information other than "it goes from point A to point B and needs to have no more than 5ºC drop with a 20 W input."

Unless you're an expert at designing and fabricating heat pipes, what you design will most likely be suboptimal, and expensive. Additionally, when it doesn't work the way you expected, the manufacturer will have absolutely no interest in troubleshooting your problem.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

agreed, you don't want to try to design the heat pipe. If you have the key information, power and size of the heat source, area for cooling, air flow, mechanical layout, cooling spec/performance required and any mounting concerns should give you enough to get started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back