Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Tracing Cooling Tower Piping (NJ) & freeze protection valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepegas

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2004
GB
I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on heat-tracing condenser water lines to cooling towers. Currently, my company has heat-tracing on the condenser/tower water lines, some of which do not work. When the chillers are not operating (winter) the lines are drained into a heated sump. I was told by someone that when the chiller shutsdown anytime the lines automatically drain to the sump but I am not positive this is true. In any event, my question is two-folded:
1) Do you have to heat-trace lines if they are drained as part of a seasonal shutdown?
2)Does anyone have experience with freeze protection valves such as that use a wax to open and close a bleed valve.
Thanks, Joe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1)If you can assure that the lines are drained I suppose the probability of problems is very low. Why would you need to get into a cost intensive heat tracing installation?
2) Many companies ofer condensate traps based in this principle (thermal expansion) but a good procedure and an efficient supervision can cope with the requirements.
RGS

Therm-O-Mega Tech knows all about Freeze protection valves,
give them a try.
Frz_grp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back