Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Transfer Coefficient

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergeyskruglov

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2012
RU
Hi, Everybody!
Please, can you explain me one moment. What difference between parameters "Heat Transfer Coefficient" and "Heat Transfer Coefficient Internal" in FlowSimulation Parameter List.
In "Help" only "Heat Transfer Coefficient" is described, and I clearly understand what does it mean. It is convective heat transfer coefficient in Newton-Richman Law: h = q/(T_fluid - T_wall).
I decided to verify FlowSimulation's results with results of mathematical approach. I have calculated Nusselt Number "Nu" for turbulent flow of water in pipe and then calculated "h" from following equation h = Nu*k/d (k - thermal conductivity of the water, d - inner diamiter of pipe). Then I compared calculated "h" with FlowSimulation's results. I had a good correlation with the value of "Heat Transfer Coefficient Internal". But "Heat Transfer Coefficient" was not equal to "h". I can not understand:
- why "Heat Transfer Coefficient Internal" is not described in "Help";
- and how "Heat Transfer Coefficient" is calculated in FlowSimilation.
If "Heat Transfer Coefficient Internal" is convective heat transfer coefficient "h" in Newton-Richman Law, what does "Heat Transfer Coefficient" in this case?

P.S. Sorry for my poor English. Best regards from Russia!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back