Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HEAT TREAT 15-5PH CRES IN HOUSE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TREE342

Aerospace
Jul 14, 2005
US
HI, EVERYBODY,
THE COMPANY I WORK FOR IS AEROSPACE JOB SHOP WITH EMPHASIS ON HADRAULIC SUBASSEMBLY. RESCENTLY, WE ARE CONSIDERING ADDING IN-HOUSE HEAT TREATMENT CAPACITY ON THE 15-5PH CRES ONLY. THE REASON FOR 15-5PH CRES ONLY MAINLY DUE TO THE EASY HEAT TREATMENT REQUIREMENT WITH SINGLE TEMPERING FOLLOWED BY AIR COOL. ANOTHER REASON IS THE AMOUNT OF PARTS WE DEAL WITH ARE MADE OF 15-5PH CRES.
NOW, THIS IS THE PART I AM ASKING FOR HELP FROM YOU EXPERT OUT THERE. IN ORDER TO HAVE OUR PROPOSED PROCESS CERTIFIED BY BOEING ( REF: BAC5619 ), WHAT DETAILS ARE INVOLVED? BESIDES THE FURNACE, TERMAL CONTROL AND RECORD, ALL THAT. I AM WONDERING IS THERE ANY REQUIREMENT LIKE CERTIFIED PERSONNEL, PROCEDURE DEVELOPED BY FULL TIME METALLURGIST SOMTHING LIKE THAT. AND HOW ABOUT ANY ODD LOCAL GOVERNMENT REGULATION ISSUE ATTACHED WITH THIS TYPE OF METAL HEAT REATMENT OPERATION. THIS NEW HEAT TREAT FURNACE WILL BE KEY PART OF OUR NEW FACILITY'S NEW PLANT LAYOUT. WITH SHORTENING LEAD TIME AND CELL MANUFACTURING CONCEPT IN PLAN, I REALLY NEED TO HAVE FULL UNDERSTANDING OF ALL THE POSSIBLE DETAILS. BY THE WAY, THE LEAD TIME OF OUR HEAT TREAT VENDOR IS GETTING WORSE AND IS NOT GOING TO BE BETTER DUE TO NO OTHER LOCAL HEAT TREATER WE CAN GO TO. ANYBODY OUT THERE HAVE SIMILAR EXPERIENCE AND WILLING TO SHARE WITH ME WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.SIZE OF PARTS VARIES, WITH LARGEST 8.00 IN DIAMETER AND 35.00 INCHS IN LENGTH. EASY LOADING AND UNLOADING IS ALSO KEY CONSIDERATION. ENERGY COST, AND ENERGY LOSS IN AIR CONDITIONED MACHINE SHOP, HOW ABOUT HIGHER INSURANCE PREMIUM. I THOUGH ABOUT ALL THESE POSSIBLE ISSUES BUT REALLT DON'T HAVE SOLID ANSWER. I SPOKE TO SOME FURNACE MANUFACTURER, BUT THEIR MAIN INTEREST IS TO SELL AND NOT MUCH HELP IN ANSWAERING MY QUESTIONS. ONLY 15-5PH CRES, HEAT TREAT TO 180~200 KSI, ABOUT 925 DEGREE F. I AM HOPING TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON. THANKS IN ADVANCE. OUR LOCATION IS IN SOUTHERN CALIFIRNIA IF THAT MATTERS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hire a good consultant, or employ someone who can read teh specs for what you wnat and designe a process, write work instructions, asses quality, etc..

You might also think about doing a process FEMA.. What quality system are you certified under? That will also be important. You also will need to determine how to check the process.

There should be a consultant who does this, if not seems like a great market...

HAve you read the Boeing heat treat specs? They also refer you to MIL/FED and AMS specs. READ ALL THAT APPLY TO THIS.
Is your quality system up to it? What are your certifications?
There are a lot of people certified to this std. You should be able to find someone to help you do it.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Corrosion, every where, all the time.
Manage it or it will manage you.

Tree, in order to heat treat parts for Boeing per BAC 5619, you will need to be Nadcap certified: I believe the requirements are spelled out in AS 7102. This is no small endeavor. Examine closely the website at and by all means go to the upcoming October meeting in Pittsburgh. You might also want to chat with Ed Engelhard of Owego Heat Treat, who is chair of the Supplier Committee.

A quick scan of e-audit.net, the online listing of those firms who hold a Nadcap certification, showed 84 in California for heat treating. Certainly there will be fewer who can handle 15-5, of the size you speak, but there will be a couple dozen in Southern CA alone.

I strongly believe that you will find it far, far, less expensive to ship your heat treating ANYWHERE on the West Coast, perhaps anywhere in the US, than to become Nadcap Certified.

Good luck whatever you chose to do!

HI,
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO TOOK TIME GAVE ME GREAT ADVISE. I REALLY APPRECIATED ALL OF THEM.
DUE TO THE CUSTOMER WE DEAL WITH AND THE LIMITED NUMBER OF HEAT TREATER ON THEIR APPROVED VENDOR LIST, WE ARE EXPERIENCING THE DIFFICULTY FINDING ALTERNATE VENDOR TO GIVE US SORT OF LEVERAGE IN TERM OF PRICE AND DELIVERY. WE USED TO BE ABLE HAVE 15-5PH CRES HEAT TREATED IN 5 DAYS TURNAROUND AND IS NO LONER THE CASE AND SOMETIMES WE HAVE TO DEAL WITH 10 DAYS TURNAOUND. I AM CONVINCED THAT THE IDEA OF HAVING IN-HOUSE PROCESS CERTIFIED IS NOT GONNA BE A COST SAVING IDEA, AT LEAST THAT IS NOT WHAT WE ARE AFTER MAINLY, IS THE RE-GAINING THE CONTROL ON THE HEAT TREAT LEAD TIME. ONCE AGAIN, THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR ADVISE.
TREE, 10/3/05

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back