Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heat Treating 1141 for Corrosion Resistance

Status
Not open for further replies.

toes112

Mechanical
May 23, 2006
US
I am trying to avoid plating, coating, etc. on a hardened part but still need for it to resist corrosion. I'm heat treating a part made of 1141 to Rc 58. The company hardening my part is using the furnace then performing the quenching in an oil bath. In this typical application can I assume some corrosion resistance, or do I have better options. Also, I am using 1141 and not stainless, as I have extensive machining on this part.
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1141 steel with no surface treatment will corrode quite readily. You cannot avoid plating, coating, etc. and expect the part to not corrode.

No, you cannot assume corrosion resistance.

If you want recommendations for appropriate materials (including surface treatments), please reply with details regarding the final application, forces, environment, etc.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Depending on the type of corrosion involved, hardening a part does not improve it's corrosion resistance, in fact it usually lowers it. The sulphur inclusions that are always inherent in 1141 steel will exacerbate your problem by serving as both crack initiation sites (why I NEVER use 1141) and as anodes that will form pits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back