Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Heating a pump head with hot water

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwiggins

Electrical
Nov 12, 2002
I am pumping a solvent solution that needs to stay above 100 F. Everything is fine except at the pump head. It is just not hot enough.

Has anyone seen a bladder that can be placed next to a pump head and have water run through it? I can insulate the bladder to keep it warm. This should work great if I can find a bladder with process connections.

Thanks for any help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The inlet to the pump is insulated and is heated with hot water via a tube in a tube.

The pump head just does not stay hot enough.

I will try insulating it better, but would also like some heating added.

Thanks

I understand the reason for your question now.

I'm not aware of any bladder as you asked.

The next thought that comes to mind is using heat trace and the better insulation you talked about. It seems it would be easier to fab.

I also wonder if you are getting some cavitation, hence cooling, at the suction?

Good luck!

The heater strips would work, but this is an explosion proof application. I believe that explosion proof strips are made. I will look into it.

Thanks

That would be the best solution. We already have a pump in place that works very well and we really do not want to spend another $3500 for a new pump and AC drive.

I am going to try some heating with copper tubing and steel rods with hot water first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back